After taking my sister to New York from Jersey for an early flight home, and needing to meet friends to carpool back to NYC, I decided I might catch a few zzz’s and capture my free parking spot for the day in SoHo and meet them in the city, but then I remembered the big hoopla around a certain breakfast pastry. The Cronut™ is the new food version of the Beatles, or Michael Jackson, or whatever celebrity was totally not accessible to you and you may have had a chance encounter, that was R&B groups New Edition and Jodeci for me, but anyway I digress. I pulled up in front of the bakery that makes and houses “the cronut”, Dominique Ansel Bakery, and I saw a not so overwhelming line. As I walked closer, I realized that the hype is real, the line turned the corner of Spring Street onto Thompson, keep in mind it was 6:40 am on a Saturday. I considered saying forget it, but I thought, its not raining and the heat hadn’t arrived for the day just yet, so I hopped my sleepy self into the line.
So here is the deal, here are some tips:
- The line stays long, don’t think that just because the doors opened you are getting right in.
- It is a small bakery, they only let in like 10-15 people at a time, every about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Majority of the patrons currently are getting Cronuts™, and they will run out about 3 hours after the doors open.
- There is a 2 Cronut™ limit (get the limit) I didn’t know it was going to be so good and only got 1
- I just learned that if you purchase a Cronut™ t-shirt online and wear it in line to purchase your Cronuts™ you will have a 4 Cronut™ limit ($20 investment http://teespring.com/cronut) and feed 50 people because the proceeds of the t-shirt purchse goes to foodbanknyc.com.
- Bring a chair, and a friend (I was alone and my back hurt from standing)
- Bring an ipod, or playing cards, and sunscreen
- IF by chance you are not interested in the line or a Cronut™, fear not go right on in and get anything but the Cronut™.
- Get to know your friends in line, foodies love foodies.
- Last but not least, DO NOT leave without getting the DKA, don’t ask, just order 1 or 2…or 3. (post coming soon)
So to close out the story, I ate my Cronut™ along with a few other goodies and napped in my car until my friends arrived ready to shop the city. I will say that as I stood in line, I was thinking, “I’m an idiot for this, it is just a donut”.
Can I tell you…
IT IS NOT JUST A DONUT!!
Dominique Ansel Bakery
Perfect Little Egg Sandwich
Run don’t walk, to get in line,to get a Cronut™….but get there 3 hours before the door opens.